Monday, October 12, 2015

Elk Country!

We left for a quick trip to elk country to see and hear the elk.  This is their mating season so they were roaming around and the bull elk were bugling.  These elk were in the wild; not in caged areas or fences.  The leaves were turning those beautiful fall colors and the mornings were foggy.  That made for some spectacular scenery!  If you've never heard an elk bugle in the wild, I recommend going to Benezette PA and experiencing it.


On our way!

Check out this castle house someone built!  It was along the road on our way to elk country.




I spotted the first one!  I was so excited!  This big guy was resting down in the trees along the road.  Karl did the fastest turn around in his truck that I ever experienced.  haha 
We went back to take pictures of him.  



There were herds of them out in open fields.








You had to be careful because they were crossing roads too.



They would cut across people's back yards!



This girl was eating apples that had fallen 
on the ground next to the road.



They would suddenly appear out of the fog.....

A great place to eat elk burgers.

Eagles nest!

This guy decided to cut across someones driveway.  


We could see them scattered throughout the woods.








A young bull with his velvet still on his antlers.



Our home for one night.  Yes it was cold but we stayed cozy in the tent....I won't tell you how many blankets I brought.  haha

So long Smoky the bear!





"And the great elk herd that I was trying to get in to, they'd been separated during the storm, and I could hear the big bulls bugling. Oh, there's something about it that just puts something alive in you, to hear them fellows bugle; have a great respect for them." 61-0410 Bro. Branham
    




4 comments:

  1. Wow! Elk are magnificent beasts! You shot some really great pictures of so many. I'm glad you had such a great time camping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Makes me want to go back sometime
    and spend more time there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pictures!! Looks like a really neat place to go in the Fall!! The foliage is beautiful!

    ~Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures. Beautiful people. Looks like you enjoyed it. Glad you saw a lot of Elk! I know the Elk burgers were good. Liked the way you always have a quote. Dad & Mom B.

    ReplyDelete